8 Strong Reasons NOT To Take Voice Lessons
A long time ago, I used to teach any singer who invested in voice lessons with me. But, as I learned, not every singer is a good fit for vocal coaching. If you’re considering taking voice lessons, this post will show you 8 reasons why you might not want to take voice lessons.
1) You see constructive feedback or critique as an insult rather than an opportunity to improve
Singers take voice lessons to improve their craft of singing. The only way to improve is to step outside your comfort zone and be open to new ideas.
2) You want a vocal coach just to check it off your list
Don’t take voice lessons if your only goal is to cross “get a vocal coach” off your list. If your only goal is to receive validation, then you won’t actually become the best singer you can be.
3) You don’t have a specific goal or objective for your singing
Saying you want to “improve” your singing isn’t a specific goal.
4) You don’t make the time to practice
Do any of the following apply to you?
- Your schedule is too busy to practice outside of sessions.
- You believe you don’t need to practice.
- You allow everything else in your life to come before your singing.
Then voice lessons probably aren’t for you.
5) You think working with several vocal coaches is a good strategy
If you think working with different vocal coaches is a good idea, think again. In my experience as a vocal coach, singers who coach with multiple teachers at the same time rarely progress. Why? Because they’re always re-learning and undoing the same techniques & habits since the feedback isn’t the same from both teachers.
6) You aren’t willing to celebrate
Celebrating all your achievements (both big AND small) is KEY to becoming a better singer and performer.
7) You want the cheapest option
If you’re looking for the cheapest option available, though you want to be given the highest level of access to a coach, then voice lessons aren’t for you.
8) You see voice lessons as too expensive or not worth the investment
That’s the same thing as wanting a cheap tattoo. You’re going to get what you pay for.
Have a question or something to say? You'll hear back from me right away!